How to Apply for $5000 Canada Greener Homes Grant From Federal Govt. to Make Your Homes Energy Efficient

Today, the federal government announced the Canada Greener Homes Grant through which Canadian homeowners are eligible for grants of up to $5,000 to make their homes more energy-efficient.

As per the news release, the initiative will recruit up to 2,000 new energy advisor jobs across the country with particular emphasis on advancing inclusion and diversity in the workforce by including women, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities and racialized Canadians.

Here are the details:

What is Canada Greener Homes Grant:

Retroactive to December 1, 2020, up to 700,000 Canadian homeowners are eligible for grants of up to $5,000 and up to an additional $600 to support the cost of an EnerGuide home energy evaluation.

Who is eligible:

Eligible homeowners in Canada can participate in the initiative, regardless of where they live.
Only one homeowner per home can register. The home must be the homeowner’s primary residence.

They will be required to:

  • provide proof of ownership with their property tax bill number (this number can be found on their municipal property documents); and
  • demonstrate the property is their primary residence through a driver’s licence, government-issued ID (with address) or a utility bill.

The following groups are also eligible applicants under the initiative:

  • Indigenous governments or organizations (e.g., band councils, land claim organizations); and
    housing management bodies and other representative or Indigenous service delivery organizations with formal partnerships with Indigenous governments or organizations.

These applicants may be eligible to register multiple homes, including homes that are not the owner’s primary residence. The home registered must be owned by the applicant and be occupied by an Indigenous household.

Eligible property types:

Single and semi-detached houses

  • Row housing
  • Townhomes
  • Mobile homes on a permanent foundation
  • Permanently moored floating homes
  • Mixed-use buildings (residential portion only) 1
  • Small multi-unit residential building (up to three storeys with a footprint of up to 600 m2). (additional requirements for small multi-unit residential buildings.)
  • New homes are not eligible for the grant and a homeowner’s primary residence must be at least six months old, from the date of occupancy by the first homeowner,
  • and eligible for an EnerGuide evaluation.

Multi-unit residential buildings (over three storeys or over 600 m2 in footprint) are not eligible under the initiative.

Source: ToDoCanada